Recipe for Masala Brown Rice
This recipe takes left-over basic brown rice to a flavor high point. It is delicious enough to make brown rice from scratch just to taste this fabulous makeover.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 7 minutes
Cooked brown rice – 3 cups
Canola oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Asafetida – ⅛ tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Raw peanuts – 3 tbsp
Curry leaves – a sprig
Green chilies – to taste, finely chopped
Garam masala – 2 tsp or to taste
Salt – to taste
Cilantro – for garnish
1. Warm leftover brown rice in microwave to room temperature.
2. Add garam masala and salt to brown rice and mix well. Keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a medium pan on medium heat.
4. Add mustard seeds and allow them to pop.
5. Add asafetida and turmeric powder.
6. Add peanuts and allow them to cook until golden in color. (Tip: use roasted peanuts to reduce cooking time.)
7. Add curry leaves, green chilies and brown rice.
8. Mix well and allow brown rice to heat all the way through.
9. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve hot.
Enjoy! Let us know if you enjoyed it or have a twist on this basic recipe at raj.r.patel.md at gmail dot com.