Quinoa Pulao – Quinoa Pilaf
Quinoa is a grain-like crop often referred to as a complete protein. (Grains, on the other hand, do not contain complete proteins and thus must be combined with lentils or dals.) Quinoa has cooking properties similar to white rice and can easily be used as a healthy substitute, as seen in this recipe for Quinoa Pulao.
Prep Time: 10 minutes (plus 30 minutes for soaking)
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
1. Wash quinoa and soak in ample water for 30 minutes.
2. Drain water and set quinoa aside.
3. Heat oil in a medium pan on medium heat.
4. Add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, black cardamom and green cardamom. Cook for 30 seconds.
5. Add black pepper, cloves and cumin seeds. Allow them to sizzle.
6. Add turmeric powder and onions. Cook for 1 minute.
7. Add ginger, garlic and green chilies. Mix well and cook until onions are translucent.
8. Add quinoa and roast for 5 minutes.
9. Add corn, green peas, carrots, garam masala, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt. Mix.
10. Add water and lemon juice.
11. Mix and bring water to a boil.
12. Reduce heat to low, cover with a tight lid and cook for 30 minutes.
13. Uncover, fluff quinoa gently with a fork, cover and let it rest for 5 minutes.
14. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
This and more recipes can be found in our book "The Healthy Indian Diet."