Tadka Dal Fry
Tadka Dal Fry is a wonderful combination of 3 different lentils (dals). The amazing flavors will have everyone guessing which dal they are enjoying. Blend it well for a smooth texture or leave it as is for a rustic treat.
Prep Time: 10 minutes + 20 minutes for soaking
Cook time: 30 minutes
For Tadka (Seasoning):
1. Combine all dals, wash them well and soak for 20-30 minutes.
2. Drain off water and add soaked dals to a pressure cooker.
3. Add water and salt.
4. Pressure cook on medium heat for 3 whistles or 3 minutes after full pressure is attained. Remove from heat and do not open pressure cooker until all internal pressure is released.
5. Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium pan on medium heat.
6. Add turmeric powder and asafoetida.
7. Add onions and a little salt and cook until onions are translucent.
8. Add cumin powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Cook for 10-15 seconds.
9. Stir in cooked dal and adjust salt and water to desired consistency.
10. Bring to a boil and cook for 4-5 minutes.
11. Pour dal in a serving dish and set aside.
12. For the tadka (seasoning), heat clarified butter in a small skillet on medium heat.
13. Add mustard seeds and allow them to pop.
14. Add cumin seeds, curry leaves, green chilies, garlic, ginger and cook for 1 minute.
15. Pour seasoning over dal and garnish with cilantro leaves and lime juice.
This and more recipes can be found in our book "The Healthy Indian Diet."